<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Light blogging, but a book to recommend 

I am particularly swamped at work, so blogging will be fairly light the next couple of days unless I become seriously agitated on some or another important matter. However, for the first time in TigerHawk's august history, I am going to recommend a book: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach. Stiff, though not for the squeamish, is both fascinating and hilarious. I'm only about half way through the slim volume (under 300 pages, for you compulsive finishers who only want to read short non-fiction), partly because I have to pause from time to time to read it aloud to my family (which they appreciate, I am sure).

Here's the opening paragraph of Chapter 2:

Out behind the University of Tennessee Medical Center is a lovely, forested grove with squirrels leaping in the branches of hickory trees and birds calling and patches of green grass where people lie on their backs in the sun, or sometimes the shade, depending on where the researchers put them.

Knoxville, it turns out, has the world's only field research facility dedicated to the study of human decay.

Read the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?