<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

WiFi in Tupper Lake, New York 


This post is a public service to people who find themselves in Tupper Lake, New York and Google "WiFi in Tupper Lake" hoping for information. If you are unlikely to be one of those happy few, move right along.

As far as I have been able to determine, there are two WiFi hotspots in Tupper Lake. One is at the public library on Lake Street, which has both public computers and free wireless internet access. Unfortunately, the library has pretty confined hours -- it isn't open on the weekend during the summer, when most visitors to Tupper Lake might want to take advantage of it. Fortunately, you can poach the signal by sitting on the bench just outside the front door. The last two summers I blogged from that bench just about every morning from roughly 6:30 to 8:30.

The better solution is the just-opened "Brick Oven Cafe," which is also on Lake Street, just across from the public library and the post office. The Brick Oven Cafe opens at 7 a.m. during the week (8 a.m. on Sunday), and it fills a heretofore unmet need in Franklin County, lattes and internet access under one roof. It has lots of space and lots of outlets for power, and there is no obvious reason why you couldn't decamp there and write the great American novel over the course of a summer. If you are in the area (perhaps to visit The Wild Center, which is, by the way, awesome), be sure to stop by.

6 Comments:

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Wed Aug 30, 02:54:00 PM:

I'm just stunned that, every morning, you leave the glorious lakeside to play with your laptop in depressing downtown Tupper Lake. Life's too damn short, man!  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Wed Aug 30, 03:33:00 PM:

Believe me, I'd love it if we had broadband at the lake.

In case it isn't obvious, outside of my professional life blogging is my only creative outlet. I do not sing, play a musical instrument, throw pots, paint, write poetry, knit, make cloisone doohickeys, train fleas or anything else that qualifies as artistic. I write, and I put it on my blog. It is actually my only hobby. Well, what better time is there to do your hobby than vacation?  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Wed Aug 30, 05:43:00 PM:

Valid point, but I nevertheless refer you to my recent post "Fishing with the Classics."  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jul 26, 08:24:00 AM:

Hmm, I'd take exception with Charlottesvillian's description. If I have to check email etc (as many of us have to do, an unfortunate reality), I would enjoy sitting in front of (or in the beautiful little reading room) of the library or enjoying the wonderful atmosphere and coffee of the Brick Oven. You could always follow up on your coffee/email check by strolling down the street to the new bookstore (Off the Beaten Path). There would still be plenty of time to go for a paddle or hike after that!  

By Blogger bwc, at Tue Aug 21, 12:03:00 PM:

I'd just like to say "Thank You." I just Googled "wifi Tupper Lake, NY" and read your first hit at the top of the page.

I appreciate the community service, and I'm heading up to see family tomorrow, and may want to check in occasionally to the rest of the world! Funny enough, the library web site, http://tupperlakeinfo.com/goff_nelsonlibrary.htm doesn't even mention the public WiFi.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Apr 25, 11:36:00 AM:

This is a great blog. Thanks for the plug for the Wild Center. We love the Museum too, and not just because we work there. Just FYI, The Wild Center has WiFi as well... Adult admission is $15 and the Waterside Cafe has a view of Blue Pond. Once you're done blogging or checking e-mails go for a hike on the Museum trails down to the Oxbow Overlooks on the Racquette River, try the interactive exhibits, or have a wildlife encounter during the daily programs offered with admission. I'm off to pick up my lunch order from the Brick Oven Cafe. My favorite is their eggplant panini...  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?