<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The return of Sharon Jones 


I'm not as plugged into the current music scene as I have sometimes been, but have heard enough to form the opinion that some of the best stuff being recorded lately is coming out of the deep funk sub-culture championed first by Soul Fire and Desco records, and now by their (sort of) offspring Daptone Records in New York. And for the past few years the best of the best has been Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings.

I've written about Sharon Jones before, first here after listening to their incredible second album "Naturally," and then here and here after being blown away by live performances here in C'Ville.
So I was thrilled when their third release, 100 Days 100 Nights, arrived on my desk yesterday, and it did not disappoint.

There's not much more I can say about this great artist and this unbelieveable backing band. In my opinion, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are simply the best act going right now, bar none. Get with the program and check them out.

4 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 30, 02:37:00 PM:

TH, if you like them I think you would like an obscure but amazing west coast band, The Sons of Champlin.

http://www.sonsofchamplin.com/  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Tue Oct 30, 04:01:00 PM:

Trust me, TH couldn't give two shits about The Sons of Champlin, but I'll certainly look into them. :)  

By Blogger Cassandra, at Tue Oct 30, 07:00:00 PM:

Sharon is a lot of fun. I listened to an interview a while back where the host tried his best to get her to dish on Amy Winehouse (which would be pretty much shooting fish in a barrel these days).

But she had far too much class to go there. It was really refreshing to see someone take the high road for once.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Nov 01, 10:12:00 PM:

My apologies to both TH and Charlottesvillain for not catching the difference. Kudos to both of you for your site.

Here is another tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTgApGSkF0  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?