<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 28, 2008

Your chance to bury Noam Chomsky 


The journal Foreign Policy is conducting an online survey to identify the world's leading "public intellectuals." There are some nominees that are only arguably "public intellectuals" -- David Petraeus? -- but I took the poll as a chance to pump up my favorites. You are allowed to select five from FP's list of 100. I chose Niall Ferguson, David Petraeus, Bernard Lewis, Vaclav Havel and Christopher Hitchens, but there were several others on my short list (Richard Posner and Bjorn Lomborg, to name two). You are also given the option to "write in" a public intellectual not included in FP's list, and I gave them Jonah Goldberg.

Choose wisely!


7 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 28, 05:59:00 PM:

Victor Davis Hanson was my write-in.


Zhombre  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Mon Apr 28, 07:11:00 PM:

Good one! On reflection he is an excellent choice, as is Andrew McCarthy and Mark Steyn. The NRO front line is very powerful.  

By Blogger Assistant Village Idiot, at Mon Apr 28, 10:09:00 PM:

Austin Bay. Theodore Dalrymple. Jean-Francoise Revel. Jacques Barzun. NT Wright. Roger Kimball. John McWhorter. Thomas Sowell. Leon Kass.  

By Blogger Who Struck John, at Mon Apr 28, 10:14:00 PM:

I also wrote in Hanson.

My five were Havel, Hitchens, Kagan, Lomborg, and Roubini.  

By Blogger SR, at Mon Apr 28, 10:43:00 PM:

And here I thought you would have Charles Barkley in your "five."

I went with Pope Benedict, Gary Kasparov, Petreus, Havel, Kagan.
My write-in: Thomas Sowell  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Apr 29, 06:26:00 AM:

How does Sowell not make the cut of 100?  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Tue Apr 29, 12:43:00 PM:

"How does Sowell not make the cut of 100?"

Good question. I'd say he is ahead of most of the write-ins proposed here, too, including VDH (much as I love VDH).  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?