<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winged fauna watch 


The sun came out around lunch time, so I unlimbered my camera and wandered around the Saddlebrook Resort looking for birds. I had seen a hawk out on my run the other day, but could not locate him today. I did, however, spot the Great Egrets (the endangered birds that inspired the Audobon Society) in the protected swamp behind the main building, a crane, and (I think) a pelican. I am no birder, and would appreciate a more precise identification of the last two birds from those of you with actual expertise.


Great Egret


Great Egret


Great Egret


Crane


Pelican


9 Comments:

By Anonymous SouthernRoots, at Sat Feb 13, 05:14:00 PM:

Your pelican looks more like a heron.  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Sat Feb 13, 05:18:00 PM:

I think you are right, SouthernRoots.  

By Blogger Simon Kenton, at Sat Feb 13, 05:44:00 PM:

Looks like a great blue and a black-crowned night heron.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Feb 13, 06:09:00 PM:

I believe that the next to last bird is an anhinga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhinga  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Feb 13, 06:12:00 PM:

Cornell University "all about birds" website:

www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse_tax.aspx?family=10  

By Blogger Simon Kenton, at Sat Feb 13, 06:54:00 PM:

Anon 6:09, I think you're right about the anhinga. My bad.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Feb 13, 09:26:00 PM:

The "crane" is actually a cormorant and "pelican" would be a great blue heron  

By Blogger MainStreet, at Sun Feb 14, 04:27:00 PM:

Next to last is an Anhinga. The Cormorant has a hook on the end of his bill.

The last looks like a regular Blue Heron.

Have both in my back yard here in SC almost every day.  

By Anonymous Bird of Paradise, at Mon Feb 15, 02:26:00 AM:

I see that GREENBACK HERONS use bait when its catching fish pretty smart birds  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?