<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Congratulations to Jessica Watson 



There are technological advantages available to blue water sailors today, as compared to a couple of generations ago, but this is still an incredibly impressive feat, as AP reports:
A 16-year-old Australian who braved boat knockdowns and seven months of solitude on a sail around the world set foot on dry land outside the Sydney Opera House on Saturday and quickly set an earthier goal - getting her driver's license.

Jessica Watson became the youngest person to sail around the globe solo, nonstop, and unassisted when she cruised into Sydney Harbour in her pink, 34-foot yacht to a rock-star welcome. She successfully maneuvered her boat through raging storms, 40-foot waves, and seven knockdowns during the 23,000-nautical-mile journey that critics thought she would not survive.
Her website is here.

I'm a moderately experienced sailor, and would not even attempt to do what Jessica has done, partly because I would be concerned about my physical durability (at three times her age), and partly because sailing is recreational fun for me, not a risk-my-life activity. I am not sure that I would grant permission if I had a 16 year-old child who wanted to embark upon a similar trip. That said, it is gratifying to see that the risks she has taken have been rewarded, and that her journey is completed and she is home safely.

2 Comments:

By Anonymous jim Nicholas, at Sun May 16, 08:35:00 PM:

If anyone had told me before this afternoon that I would read seven months of a 16-year-old's blog entries--a teenager I have never known--I would not have believed it. However, that is how I have spent the last two hours.

And it was not wasted!

My admiration and best wishes to Jessica.

Jim  

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Mon May 17, 02:49:00 AM:

This is the kind of reckless ambition that youth is supposed to have. Good for her.

But I can't help but mention how different coverage and reaction would have been had she not made it... which is sad.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?